Saturday, October 16, 2010

forgotten books and scrolls

'' i never learned its title for the early pages were missing but it fell open toward the end and gave me a glimpse of something which sent my senses reeling ... there was a formula--a sort of list of things to say and do--it was a key--a guide--to certain gateways and transitions of which mystics have dreamed and whispered since the race was young and which lead to freedoms and discoveries beyond the three dimensions and realms of life and matter that we know...

'' i remember how i read the book at last--white faced and locked in the attic room that i had long devoted to strange searchings ... it was by the light of candles that i read...then came the first scratching and fumbling at the dormer window that looked out high above the other roofs of the city ... it came as i droned aloud the ninth verse of that primal lay, and i knew amidst my shuddering what it meant. for he who passes the gateways always wins a shadow and never again can be alone...

'' dogs had a fear of me for they felt the outside shadow which never left my side ... but still i read more--in hidden, forgotten books and scrolls to which my new vision led me--and pushed through fresh gateways of space and being and life-patterns toward the core of unknown cosmos. '' h.p.lovecraft, the book

No comments:

Post a Comment